Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What shall I do?

Right now, life seems to be a major dilemma. I have rarely been in such situations. The path ahead has always been clear. There have been days when I am confused, but if I 'sleep' over it, the problem is resolved.

The Dilemma
Which path should I take now. There are a few roads starting from where I stand now. I have come till here by walking a path of an entrepreneur, mostly due to a close friend who walked ahead of me all the way. At this point there are the following options
  1. A road that leads to large companies - TCS, Wipro etc.
  2. Another that leads to mid-sized companies which have a good growth prospect
  3. Our own Start-ups
  4. Take an on-site assignment from some company / consultant and make money / build contacts
The positives and negatives are very apparent. The biggest thing that worries me is - do I want to be one among 80,000 others? Do I want to retire in such a big company (borrowed from the friend's FIL)?

I know that we are good at running our own show, but do we have the emotional, financial and physical wherewithal to endure the pain till the point where there is some gain? Last 6 years of this has been frustrating, excruciating, exhilarating and amazing at the same time. Though the monetary gains were not too big, life was not bad. Learnings that I got are incomparable to anything else.

Can I work for somebody else? Will I get into the crib-pit and stay there all the time - cribbing about my manager, about my tasks, about the customer, about my team mates, about life, about the traffic, about the cabs and all the other sundry things in the world....!!! Is there a chance that I will enjoy my life in the bigger and mid-sized companies where 'I' as an individual will have no value. Aren't these big companies similar to the HALs and BELs and BHELs of yesterday? A bunch of punches (time in and time out card punches) and one lunch - that is going to be the order of the day. Do I REALLY want this? No No No...!!!!!
But the alternative is not very sweet either. My monthly loan commitments and the luxuries that I have gotten used to now demand a minimum of 60k earnings per month, which is not easy if we are on our own.

What should I do?

Right now, I am leaning towards options 3 and 4. Don't know how the wind will blow in my mind :)

No comments: